Do you worship canine guidance?
I think I went through a phase where I placed a very high importance on the presence or absence of canine guidance. I then got thinking…how and why are my patients with AOBs doing just fine? Why is it that some studies suggest that only 5% of the population has canine guidance, and others suggest up to 60%? Is group function really the villain?
This is why I am open to listening to theories that explain this. Posterior Guided Occlusion is one such theory. I am joined by Dr Andy Toy to explore PGO concepts I wanted to delve deep in to PGO – so we split this episode in to 2 parts.
What we cover in this episode:
- We hear Andy Toy’s stories
- How did he get in to ‘Posterior Guided Occlusion’, clear aligners and treating TMD?
- The journey that took him to Pankey
- The story of how Andy met Ron Presswood and the influence that he had in his views on Occlusion
- What is patient driven splint adjustment?
- Why was Andy getting good results with PGO splints, just as he did with traditional tanner appliances?
- Why are we trying to switch muscles off, but Andy is trying to switch them ‘on’!?
- The surprising origins of Bonwill’s Triangle
- What is a functional occlusion?
- Realising that the the quality of the evidence in Occlusion is poor
All the other downloads from every past episode is on the Protrusive Dental Community